Social and Events
Throughout the year multiple socials and networking events with the YP committee, other recreation professionals, and students across the state are offered. These events are great opportunities outside of the KRPA conference to not only network with recreation professionals, but also discuss topics that pertain to the field. We invite anyone in the field of Parks and Recreation to join us as well as any students who are interested in and or studying the field of recreation. If you have an idea for discussion, activity, or place to visit for a social please contact our chair, Erin Ritter and let us know!
Part of the commitment of Young Professionals is to be the official liaison between KRPA and the future leaders of our field. The Young Professionals committee visits universities in Kansas as guest speakers. Topics include tips on creating resumes, finding internships, how to gain experience in the field, applying for jobs, and describe and invite students to attend the KRPA Conference Student Summit.
KRPA Conference Student Summit
The Student Summit is usually held on Monday of the KRPA Conference. During the summit, current students in Recreation and Parks are invited to participate sessions that help prepare them for careers in the field. The 2014 Student Summit saw over 30 students from local universities, who had the opportunity to attend breakout sessions. Those sessions included mock interviews, building resumes, gaining experience in the field, and where to look for job opportunities. The student summit punctuated by an Internship/Job fair where Kansas organizations were invited to attend and recruit interns and seasonal employees. The Intern/Job Fair offers organizations a chance to meet potential interns and seasonal employees face to face.
To learn more about YP Socials, Events, CEUs, University Visits, and the Student Summit contact committee chair Erin Ritter, at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Facebook and Twitter pages.
- Erin Ritter, Chair, Spring Hill Recreation Commission
- Sean Thomas, City of Hutchinson
- Justine Spease, Bonner Springs Parks and Recreation
- John Grosdidier, Salina Parks and Recreation
- Logan Singhisen, Manhattan Parks and Recreation
- Alison Smith, Johnson County Park and Recreation District
- Ben Hess, Bonner Springs Park and Recreation
- Angel Obert, UG of Wyandotte County Parks and Recreation
- Nick Sheperd, Mission Parks and Recreation
- Sophie Griffin, Johnson County Park and Recreation District
- Jordyn Lester, Gardner Parks and Recreation
- Zachary Bayless, Manhattan Parks and Recreation