Board of Directors
The Kansas Recreation and Park Association (KRPA) is a 501(c)(6) nonprofit association that is governed by a board of directors.
2018 Board of Directors Voting Members
Officers/Executive Committee/Scholarship Committee (Term)
President (1) - Chris Claxton (Leawood Parks and Recreation)
Past President (1) - Kelby Hellwig (Johnson County Park and Recreation District)
President Elect (1) - Tony Finlay (Hutchinson Recreation Commission)
Member-At-Large (1)- Daniel Pyle (Ellis Recreation Commission)
Member-At-Large (2)- Shannon Sonnier (Johnson Country Park and Recreation District)
Member-At-Large (3)- Brent Peintner (Cheney Recreation Commission)
Member-at-Large - West (3) - Eric Jantz (Holcomb Recreation Commission
Member-at-Large - Central (2) - Candi Fox (Winfield Recreation Commission)
Member-at-Large - East (2) - Olivia Mayer (Shawnee County Parks + Recreation)
Other Non-Voting Chairs
Standing Committee Chairs (Appointed Annually by President)
Citizen Board - Kim Galbraith
Colleges and Universities - Janice Jewett (Pittsburg State University)
Professional Development - Logan Wagler (Lenexa Parks and Recreation)
Public Policy - Tim Finlay (Hutchinson Recreation Commission)
Young Professional- Stephen Mason (Lawrence Parks and Recreation)
Conference Planning- Tony Finlay (Hutchinson Recreation Commission)
Non-Voting Members (Ex-Officio)
Parliamentarian - Steve Friend (Baldwin City Recreation Commission)
Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism Representative - Linda Lanterman (KDWPT)
KRPA Executive Director - Erika Devore
2018 NEW Board of Directors Structure
1. President - (Term ends in 2018)
2. Past President - (Term ends in 2018)
3. President Elect - (Term ends in 2018)
4. Member-at-Large - West (Term ends in 2020)
5. Member-at-Large - Central (Term ends in 2018)
6. Member-at-Large - East (Term ends in 2018)
7. *Member-at-Large (Term ends in 2018)
8. *Member-at-Large (Term ends in 2019)
9. *Member-at-Large (Term ends in 2020)
*New Board Position
Terms of Office
The terms of office for the offices of President, President-Elect, Past-President are one year. The Members-at-Large serve three-year terms with a consecutive two term limit, with the exception of our new at-large positions. To stagger the new at large positions, the vote for the 2018 Board of Directors will consist of a one year term at large member, a two year term at large member and a normal 3 year term at large member. Next year we will have the one year at large member up for re-election, which that person can run for the second term of a full 3 years.
NEW Members-at-Large Representative Responsibilities:
· Serves as a member of the Board of Directors.
· Communicates with members and non-members to promote KRPA programs, services, and initiatives and to understand their needs and wants.
· Collaborates with KRPA Branches to further their understanding of leadership development and pathways.
· Represents the Board of Directors at branch and other external organizations' meetings and conferences as requested by the President.
· Monitors the strategic plan for relevance based on industry trends and makes recommendations for modifications if needed.
· Serves on task force or board appointed work-group as assigned by the President
· Carry out additional duties as referred by the President
Join the Board of Directors
Kansas Recreation and Park Association (KRPA) invites interested members to provide leadership as members of the KRPA Board of Directors. If you would have interest in being a member of the board of directors or in nominating someone for a board position, please contact the past president who serves as the nominating committee chair. Nominations will be due this fall.
The KRPA Board of directors is the governing body of the association and has the authority and is responsible for the supervision, control, and direction of the association.
KRPA Board of Directors Policy Manual
Board of Directors Meeting Schedule
January, March, May, July, August, October
2019 Retreat: To be determined